Thursday, December 2, 2010

Excited to launch my page!

Last night at 1am we officially launched www.terravidadesigns.com !  The business and website have been over a year and a half in the making.  I began making jewelry to sell for charity donations in the summer of 2009 when I was raising money for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training (TNT).  I was training for the Dublin Marathon and had to raise over $7,000.  I had never in my life raised that kind of cash and had no idea where to start.  I'm not great at marketing myself.  I didn't have the time or sales skills to walk the malls and get donations from stores. I can't sell a glass of water to a dying man in the desert. 

I started making simple earrings and selling them on Etsy to friends and family.  100% of my profits were donated to TNT.  Eventually I got more and more creative and started remembering that I have a right side of my brain - something I hadn't used since before graduate school!  Once the money was raised and the marathon was over, I had big plans to keep up the creativity.  Like many best-laid plans before, it went astray.  I found out I was pregnant AND had to chase around a very VERY active toddler.  I slept every moment I could.  Now I have an even more active toddler and a super sweet 4 month old.  I'm still busy and I still want to sleep every moment I'm able, but for me it is more important to have something that is my own.  Something that helps define me as more than a mother. Something that reminds me I can do more than play patty cake (although that is very important!). 


If you are interested in using my site to help raise money for a charity, please contact me at terravidadesigns@gmail.com . 

No comments:

Post a Comment