Thursday, December 2, 2010

Favorite new pieces



These are my first forays into Viking Knit pieces. (Yes, Viking Knit was done by the Vikings. Examples have been found as early as the 8th century.) My extraordinarily talented mother in law does the weaving and sends me long lengths of it.  From there I cut it and work it into a finished necklace or bracelet.  I'm interested to attempt earrings, too.  I've had the woven sections for months and months but have been afraid to do anything with them, lest I ruin a length of weave that took hours and hours to finish.  I've gotten over my fear and I'm glad I have!  I really like how they've turned out.  I like pairing the almost geometric weave with something organic and rough, like the raw turquoise or the seemingly random bunch of pearls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment